Friday, September 25, 2009

The best of times

When I was in high school, people were always telling me that these were the best years of my life. I never believed them. I'm glad that I was right and they were wrong.
Here are some things I thought were fun and cool when I was a teenager:
  • Being as loud and obnoxious as possible.
  • Making everything more dramatic than it is.
  • Drinking and talking about it so that everyone could hear.
  • Skipping school or classes.
  • Pretending to be stupid.
  • Avoiding sleep unless it was day time
  • Proclaiming that everything is stupid

Now when I look over this list, I'm astonished about a few things. First of all, that these things could have ever seemed cool or fun. Second, that these things not only seemed cool to me but are practically the cool list for all teens. Third, that others could actually believe that a time like this could be the best I would have.

Many people keep reliving their teenage years and dread aging. I am not one of those people. Each year of my life I learn to accept myself and appreciate being me. I am free to enjoy the uncool things.

Here are some things that I am free to enjoy now that I don't have to worry about whether or not I'm cool:

  • Reading
  • Writing
  • Arithmetic (Ok, that one is just a joke =D)
  • Gardening
  • Decorating
  • Having coffee with friends
  • Learning new things
  • Spending time with family
  • Appreciating babies and children

Most people now tell me that my enjoyment of aging will stop once I get old enough. I think they're wrong too but we'll see. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment